Saturday, October 8, 2011

Damn the Nice!

My first attempt at a story with humor as the main genre. It's based on a situation that happened to my friend, with embellishment to protect identities. : )





Damn it, I was nice to someone! What is wrong with me? I have the opportunity to spend hours alone with the man I’ve been trying to snag and ruin it by being nice. Of course, I didn’t know we were going to be alone. The plan had been for a few of us to go over to D’s bookstore, help him catalogue the new shipment, and order Chinese take-out. Then I just had to go and ruin it. Some chick comes up to me on the street asking for directions to his shop and I offer to show her the way. I figured it was safe enough; she could get her book and get out. But fate likes to kick me in the crotch and stand there laughing once I’m down. Turns out our friends couldn’t come, it was just me and D, except the fricking girl offered to stay. This is why I’m never nice to people!
So here I am in my new silk shirt, a few buttons open for that take me I’m yours look, and my skinny pin-striped jeans that make my ass look damned perfect, and this girl is chattering away. Hours that could have been spent making beautiful memories are wasted because I did one good deed. The entire night I’ve avoided looking at D, if I do the urge to throw that rambling woman out on the street will be too much. If only I told her he was closed for the night.
Did she just lean into him? Sorry honey, are you ever on the wrong track. D’s gay and if things ever go my way he’s going to be my new lover. That’s right you give her an awkward look and step away. Call it quits? Well, I suppose we have been cataloging for hours. Damn it! That’s time we could have had alone. That’s it. I’m never helping anyone ever again. Unless of course it’s to help D out of his pants, that I would do. Suppose I’ll just walk out into the cold all by my lonesome. At least that girl has to leave too. Don’t let the door hit on the way out. What’s that? Why yes, D, you can walk me home. I’ll even let you stay forever, or at least the night. Still, imagine all the things we could have done if I hadn’t been nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment